A couple days ago, Mario was planning on going to Chenghai, a lil industrial part of Shantou, to meet a guy about translation jobs. Only he was gonna go until he thought that maybe the man had said something about Mandarin-Spanish translation, which only i could do. I reluctantly went, I really didn't want to have to take more time off New Time and complicate life, but what the heck, I went.
On the way, Mario saw this car and asked me if i'd seen one like it before. It was an Infiniti SUV, I said yeah we have em in the US. That was that.
Our taxi arrived at the translation company's office. We sat down and the man said he had a recording job for that day, just like an hour. Then, he said there was an interpretation job for 7 to 10 days... all day. So i'd have to ask off work. The man and Mario went to the recording place and I stayed talking with his wife. I really wasn't interested, until I did the math. If it's 10 days i can get quite a bit of cash!! That's worth it.
well, as I was discussing the translation job, mario came back from the recording, in the Infiniti SUV we had seen on the way!!! And the recording man invited us to lunch. Ok So I expected a business lunch in some small chinese place probably not in a private dining room, but a bit formal. Then all of a sudden, where did we end up!? McDonald's! Check it out, a gringa, a guanaco and a couple chinese bosses eating a "business" lunch in McDonald's Chenghai! But that's not the most ironic part! The gringa is the one who HATES Mc Donald's, the non-Americans are the ones who like or love it. Too much! Just too much!
That's crazy life in China.
Wednesday, November 05, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment